Sunday, June 29, 2008

Signs

I had the best experience with my writing workshop the past five days. I learned a lot and made some amazing connections. It was fantastic, because it was such a variety of people ranging from 20-72. There were fifteen-year-old boys and a 92-yr-old man in the memoir class, but the 20-72 range is referring to my class and the people who hung out after class. I went out for "drinks" with them, but had to admit I was not 21. I had rice and beans instead. Last night we went to a nice restaurant; a 72-yr-old nun (who was in charge of the workshop) payed for all of our dinner. It was incredibly generous of her. I learned at dinner that she just published an anthology of Catholic short stories. I asked her if I could meet with her to talk about my anthology idea and she was very supportive of it. My teacher is a very well-established author http://philipfdeaver.com (if you want to check him out yourself). He won the Flannery O'Connor award for short fiction. He was very supportive of my work and gave me a free signed copy of his book. It made me feel so good. Everyone gave me a surplus of compliments, because I was the youngest one there. I needed something like that. Confidence is a good thing.

One of the women was a Social Worker on the South side of Chicago and I really admired her free-spirit. She talked about all of these trips she has taken alone, sort of spiritual pilgrimages. I told her that I am an anxious person and should try something like that to overcome it. She said, "The most important thing I've learned is to pay attention to signs." I laughed because we were driving and had almost taken a wrong turn. I also laughed at how I fail to notice signs. She said, "I mean literal signs, but metaphorical ones too. I would have missed so much if I would've missed some signs." I reflected on this. I am oblivious to all signs. I think her saying that was a sign that I should pay attention to. To add to this sign, my teacher told me today, "I wouldn't say this to most people, but because you are so young don't feel like you're not a writer if you stop writing for a couple months or even a couple years. The most important thing is to stay up on reading and live. Do something crazy like go to Turkey." The nun interrupted and said, "And while you're there take a Turkish bath." I thought more about this, and I do need to do some spontaneous traveling alone. I can't live in a bubble my whole life. I'd like to slowly progress into it, though. I figure there is no need to throw myself into situations where I have panic attacks.

I meant to do so much more reading and writing tonight. I didn't read at all, but I did write four pages of a journal entry. I guess, that's acceptable. I need to go to bed. I have to wake up early. I took a long nap today, though, so I probably won' fall right asleep. Oh well, what can ya do?

No comments: