Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Moving

I didn't realize it had been over a week since I last blogged. The act of moving is just so draining. I'm still not unpacked here, and I have a ton of laundry and cleaning to do before I am moved in. Moving out went rather smoothly, considering I'd lived in that apartment for three years. I had the help of friends and family along the way, which makes the process so much easier. It was sad to leave the college town where I've spent my last five years. It's certainly the end of an era and goodbyes were tough.

My back is really bothering me lately. I think I'm going to try to get into Ashlee's chiropractor. I've always wanted to go, but heard such mixed things about them. Now that my insurance covers massages if prescribed by a chiropractor, I know I can benefit from going there. My shoulders are always so tense, and now my upper spine is bothering me too. It hurts to bend much, which makes unpacking, doing laundry, and cleaning a bit worse than they already are. I don't think it's anything too serious--just an inconvenience.

Both my dog and cat are sleeping in the living room with me. One of them is snoring gently, which makes me smile. They are so adorable. I can really see how pets are good for people's mental health.

I've been emailing a few profs at different MFA programs I'm interested in. It's such a scary process--to email these writers I admire and completely put myself out there in just one e-mail. It sets me up for the feeling of being rejected on many cases, but is rewarding when it pays off.

My brother, Adam, comes home tomorrow night. I haven't seen him since Christmas, so I am looking forward to his company. There's just something nice about our entire family being together. We don't always get along great or have good conversation, but just the idea that we've all grown over so many years together and make the effort to be in each other's presence is comforting.

Laura's work is getting stressful, which makes it harder to keep in touch and harder to accept I can't do anything to help from afar. I don't like seeing her so stressed, but I keep telling myself that I will go out to visit her and help her move back in August. I miss her terribly, and it's especially hard that I can't be there for her when she is struggling. She's hanging in there like a trooper, though. I know she is capable of working this job, I just don't want her to sacrifice her health in order to do so.

1 comment:

Albert said...

A good chiropractor should be able to help you. The problem is just like with many other professions is finding a good one. I would be in pretty rough shape from years of wrestling if I didn't go to a chiropractor on occasion.