Monday, November 06, 2006

Election Day

Tomorrow is the big Election Day. I am feeling like a hypocrite, because I cannot vote. Ever since I entered high school I have been encouraging my friends who were old enough to vote. I would, and still do, get so frustrated with people who do not care about voting at all. Especially the ones who say they do not care. I think it is the one thing that all people should agree on. We can’t agree on individual issues, and sure sometimes I wish less people against me would vote, but I only wish that unrealistically. I am fully aware the more people vote the more efficiently our country will be run. My age group has so much potential to make a difference, but so many do not care. I do not think it is just my generation, I think that is common among all younger generations, because they are too self absorbed and still struggling to figure our where they stand on issues. I had every intention of voting. I registered and got acquainted with the issues and the main candidates (I still do not know all of them). I recently was told that because I registered by mail, and it is my first time voting, that I needed to pick up the absentee ballot in person. The problem is I live 2.5 hours away and although I was home last weekend, the place is not open on weekends. It looks like I will have to be another “careless” youth who doesn’t take advantage of my right to vote. At least I appreciate that I have the right to vote and know a little bit about the issues. I will definitely be involved in the next elections. It just embarrasses me when people ask me if I voted or not. I really just want to lie, because I know how important it is to vote, and I feel like people who do not vote do not, but I do not lie. I just look down quickly and mumble a “no.”

1 comment:

SailorAshley said...

don't feel bad, i forgot to do the same and you brother has been giving me shit about it. what a dickie