Wednesday, July 07, 2010

One Hell of a Hot Day

Today was in the upper nineties. That's hard to deal with inside of a school building with no windows and no air conditioning. We had to switch classrooms this year. Our program now occupies the other half of the building, which happens to be the hottest side. When walking from one side to the other, there was a 10-15 degree change. My shirt was soaked, and I had trouble staying awake all day even though I went to bed early.

Work is going well. The kids are challenging this year. We have a young group with little schooling, so we are working on very basic things like writing names and such... One little girl tells me I'm beautiful almost every day. She doesn't even remember my name. She just says, "Teacher, you're so beautiful." Needless to say, I love her.

I had a wonderful vacation to the Outer Banks. I visited Laura, and was reminded how much I miss her. I've never had a friend I am so close with, so I was reminded how thankful I am for her friendship. We talked about how much we have been through together and how strong our friendship is as a result of such struggles.

Leslie, Alicia, and Alicia's boyfriend, James, drove down and met us there. It was nice to experience such wonderful things with so many close friends. I saw dolphins, went kayaking, and hang gliding.

Hang gliding was freeing. I went tandem with a professional, so I could ride up 2,000 feet and be released. I also was able to go alone while supervised by an instructor off of a sand dune. I didn't go very high or very far, but it felt like a dream. I was flying. I crashed pretty hard the one time, and scraped my shin on the control bar. I have a nice scrape/bruise to prove it.

No comments: