Friday, July 16, 2010

Positive

Looking back at the number of blogs I put out per year, I can't help but notice I only had 39 entries in 2009. I guess, that's the year of the hospitalizations. Actually, there were very little positive things about 2009--now that I think about it. That is probably why I didn't want to blog. I didn't have much to say except dark, repetitive thoughts.

I'm struggling to keep up with blogging this summer. I think it's because I still don't have a lot of positive things to say. I'm struggling away with my incomplete, work, and writing seems impossible these days.

One thing that has been helping me is that Laura and I ask each other what are two positive thoughts we had every day. Now, I'm beginning to be more mindful of paying attention to those rare thoughts. It's important to give the positive thoughts more power than the negative, but our culture does the opposite. I'm guilty of remembering more negative things than positive.

So, ordinarily, I'd say today was just mediocre. But, really it was a good day. No major drama at work. The kids got to go swimming. I had tamales for breakfast. I worked out after work, and visited my grandpa. I have a feeling in the future, I will look back on a day like today and miss it. I love my job and my kids, which is easy to forget when they're all whining and shouting, "Aimee!" because they want my attention at the same time. I also feel fortunate for the time spent with my grandpa. We don't talk much when I'm there, but just sitting with him is nice.

Two positive thoughts I had today: This is a good morning and this is a good day.

2 comments:

Mrs L said...

Aimee, thank you for spending those quiet times with my dad. He really looks forward to seeing you. I know that he doesn't talk a lot, but your presence means so much to him. Thank you. Keep hanging in there. Love ya'

Lia said...

I like the idea of the two positives. I am going to start this with someone. Thanks for the good idea!