Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Music

I'm back in a poetry class, which causes me to obsess about language. I listen for all of the rhythm, rhyme, assonance, and alliteration , not to mention, just the plain music of poems. I have a beginners back ground in music from my middle school days of playing clarinet, but I want my poetry to be more musical.

Switching back and forth from non-fiction to poetry is incredibly challenging, but they're good for each other. It's important to make my prose more lyrical and to help my poems become more personal and intense.

I finished my final incomplete. You can bet, the hallelujah choir was singing after I finished that.

Tomorrow, I have my first therapy appointment. It will be good to catch up with my therapist, although, I still want to ask about only going every other week. Every week is such a time commitment. It's just another appointment I have to keep. We'll see what she thinks of my decision to be a little more independent though.

2 comments:

wordsarentmatter said...

I like to use my intuition to judge whether or not something sounds pleasing or jarring or moody etc. (beyond its meaning). I also count syllables like a mad man. It's easy for me to decide I don't like something, but it takes forever to find new words to take their place. That's the part that drives me crazy.

Tammy said...

Good work man with finishing that incomplete! :)
I AM SOOOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!! You didn't give up and stuck with it and should be so proud of yourself for it as well! :) I'm glad that you made it though the end and that you are FINALLY done!!!! YAY!!!!

Good luck with classes this year friend. I hope you learn a lot and enjoy every minute of it! Its your last year and I hope that it is beautiful!

I love you.