Sunday, January 27, 2008

I am not my writing. My writing is not me.

I have become terrible at blogging. I think it's because I write all of the time now. Almost any free time is spent writing, but it's all brainstorming and writing practice...none of which makes good blog entries. I'm reading all kind of instructional writing books and it's driving me mad. It seems impossible to be unique, because it's all been done. There's so many writers in the world it's hard to feel like I have anything important to say, but I'm still finding my voice like many beginning to intermediate writers. I would say I'm now an intermediate level writer, but it depends who is judging. I am in an intro writing class, so I guess I could be a beginner still. I like to think the whole intro writing class is intermediate, because to be in the class requires experience. It makes me paranoid, because I want to stand out, but I don't know how. I guess, I should mind my own and just write what I want. It will be my first time having critics who are not emotionally involved with me. Everyone in my writers group cares about each other as people, so even though they are tough on my work I never feel offended. I worry since these people don't know me, that their criticism will be harder to take. Lisa kept reminding me, "I am not my writing. My writing is not me." I told her that should be my mantra and I should hang it up on my ceiling so I have to see it everyday, because I get emotionally involved in it all and forget that.

I saw Kerri and Grant from Mythbusters speak here last night. They were very funny to listen to and they have such interesting jobs. They just travel the country doing crazy science experiments and they aren't even scientists. I love that show, and a lot of people must, because it was sold out.

I feel so emotionally uninvolved in these blog entries. I will continue to write them, because I think it is good for me to get out of the creative mindset to write and reflect a moment without worrying about technique or word choice so much. That kind of thing is enough to drive a person mad--all the counting syllables, transitions, and attention to word choice.

I am going on Spring Break with the Geology club. We will fly into Las Vegas and take a tour of the Southwest including Southern California and the Grand Canyon. I will get to really make good use of my new hiking boots, meet new people, see beautiful scenery--the kind that is so beautiful it makes life seem perfect for a moment. I am also hoping to do a lot of writing: mostly journaling and field notes that I will be able to use in material later.

The snow has been really pretty here. I didn't have morning classes Tuesday due to a snow storm. It's powdery snow that looks like glitter when it falls, and the ground sparkles in the light. It does get old though. It leaves me extra excited for Spring Break. I am off to write. I will try to do better at blogging. I'm so busy during the week, and then burnt out by the time Thursday night comes around. My weekends are refreshing though. I could get used to these three day ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C.S. Lewis said that you shouldn't worry about being original, you should just tell the truth. Since the truth is so scarce, everyone will just assume you're being original!