Monday, October 12, 2009

Because Leslie Asked

Leslie asked why I haven't updated my blog. I don't have a real answer. I'm backsliding in my mental health. I don't really like to update people on negativity. I think I may need a medicine adjustment (although I keep procrastinating/forgetting to call the doctor). The gloomy cold weather also makes things difficult. I've been trying to make time to skateboard a lot. It's one of the only activities I am still capable of enjoying. I'm not looking forward to the snow and having to put the board away for 6 months--that is if our winter is as bad this year as it was last.

Writing is going well. I met one of my favorite poets (Marie Howe) last week. She gave a reading here. I waited around to get my book signed and talk with her about how much I loved and connected with her work. She was super nice. I told her I was even considering applying to work under her for grad school. She even told me to write on my application that I talked to her here and that she told me to write that on there. I was shocked and honored. I bet that will help me get through the first round of applications when it comes time for me to apply.

I've been working out, eating great, getting enough sleep. I'm pretty much doing everything right. Just not getting better. I also make it a nightly ritual to color with Laura, Tammy Danielle, or Leslie every night. It's just a nice way for me to unwind. Laura and I printed off a bunch of free coloring pages in a computer lab. They have everything you could ever want to color on-line. My favorite things to color are the mandalas. They are circular designs that represent wholeness and balance. Several different religious traditions use them. I'm not sure which one they originate from--hinduism, buddhism? I am not sure. I even colored a picture of the president in neon colors. It looks really neat.

This weekend I am going to my first ever "Zombie Party." It is Leslie's brother, Jame's birthday party. He insisted everyone dress like zombies. I don't know exactly what that means, but Leslie and I are going to be "80s Zombies together." I always like a nice reason to where all of my brightest clothes and tons of funny make-up. Jordan is coming up for that. He is coming straight from a gig so he says he will be a "dressed-up zombie." I bet he won't have to worry about running into a zombie with the same idea.

The leaves are changing. The tree tops look like paintbrushes just dipped lightly in paint. I hope they don't change too fast. My cousins from Australia are coming up here in a few weeks. The campus is so beautiful in the Fall. I hope they have nice weather.

I ran into an acquaintance today. It was such an unexpected rendezvous because she graduated and moved home. I never really thought she liked me, but today she went out of her way to chase me down (I was power-walking to Spanish) and say hello. I'm so intrigued by people in general and the way we interact with each other. I like when people surprise me in positive ways.

I passed two men with trash bags today. I think they were collecting pop cans. We passed each other, walking in opposite directions. I gave my usual awkward half smile I give strangers, secretly feeling pity, wondering what their life story was. One of them said, "Another day, huh?" I smiled and said, "Yeah. Another day," contemplating what that could mean. It could be a depressing statement like--just another day. Or it could be a thankful comment, like being amazed by another day. I'm not really sure which way they meant. I'm not even entirely sure which one I meant. I was glad he said it though. People are beautiful.


1 comment:

Jolene Witt said...

You are beautiful, Aimee. You personify the very meaning of the word, and I am honored just to know you. Stay strong. Remember you're never alone.