Sunday, October 14, 2007

Content

I have been feeling really good this weekend. I took a weekend to myself. I didn’t go to any parties or hang out until late. I hung out with people a bit, but spent my nights watching movies, reading, and writing for fun. It really helped relax me. I woke up at a decent time yesterday and today and I went to the library for three hours today and really made a dent in my load of homework for midterms week. I also worked out. It feels good to have some free time without homework loitering over my head. I have been feeling creative again lately, but having a hard time finding ways to release it, because I am frustrated with both poetry and prose. A cute Venezuelan guy from the band that played at Peace Song told me I should think about script writing because, “that’s where the money’s at.” I don’t think I could pull of script writing, but it might be nice to try a new genre out and release some of this rare creativity. I am writing more though, which is always nice. I don’t blog as much, because when I have time to write I feel like I waste my writing time by focusing on reality and my opinions instead of trying to weave all of it subtly and creatively into a piece of writing. I am trying to keep up with pieces, because we are now doing on-line submissions for writers group at the beginning of the month for those who can’t meet. I am the only one that has sent stuff out and only the three regulars sent back feedback. We have like twenty people in our on-line group, but very few participate. I like the core people though. I always love writers. It was the same main three who I received feedback from in person, so it feels familiar. I like working with people whose style I am familiar with. It makes it easier to take and listen to criticism. It’s like you develop a sense of trust in their suggestions and learn what to ignore and how to use their strengths.

I enjoyed going home during the middle of the week to see Adam off and observe a peace concert for World Peace Initiative. I was able to take one of my treasured walks with Adam D. while we walked the nature trail by the labyrinth, meet up and chat with Jenn on a bench at Siena in perfect weather. I also enjoyed dinner with the family Tuesday night, was able to see many fun people at a Peace Makers meeting, go to Big Boy late at night with lisa, Adam D., and Ashley (the nun), go to Big Boy early in the morning with Leslie and Beth, and ride the bike a bit. Not to mention I got to hang out with the cute band members with accents. The one from Jordan is like a pop star in his country and I saw his fan club on facebook. It has such a cute picture of him. He was a very sweet guy. I can see why everyone loves him.

I thought I was done with my weird mood courtesy of my Sylvia Plath/Anne Sexton paper being done, but my professor handed back my paper and I got a B-. I have been told he grades really tough, but he does let you resubmit it for a higher grade. It’s not even an average. I could still get an A, but he grades just as tough and said there will have to be tremendous changes that show a lot of insightful thoughts for him to make a grade higher. I am enjoying the challenge, but it is just that… a challenge. I found this Ryan Adams’ song called “Sylvia Plath” that I have enjoyed listening too because it contributes to my weird mood when I read and write about her. The paper is actually about a poem by Anne Sexton, but the poem is focused on Plath so I feel like I am studying her more than Sexton.

This Friday Elise, Drew, and Ryan from my South Dakota group are coming up to visit. The following weekend I go to Boston for an Amnesty International conference. The weekend after that Leslie and Alicia are coming up. That gives me a lot to look forward to. When that is all over the next weekend will be the second one in November! Who knows what I will have planned then, but that will have me close to Thanksgiving break. It’s amazing how the time is flying. I am off to do some “real writing” haha.

No comments: