Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Pre-Drag Show

My friend, James and his roommates are in a drag show for the Gay Straight Alliance hosting "coming out week." Beth and I will be out of town for World Peace Initiative so we went to watch them practice tonight. They are dancing seductively with chairs to the song, "Cell Block Tango (He had it Coming)" from the musical Chicago. Watching four stereotypical gay guys along with two straight guys and a girl learn a dance together proved to be very entertaining.

I got a kick out of many things. One of them is the way the entire gay-straight alliance (regardless of gender or orientation) is so touchy-feely with one another. They are always all over eachother and it makes me smile. Secondly I enjoyed when my friend, Kent, was telling James that "women walk with their hips and men walk with their shoulders. So forget about your shoulders," while he tried to show James how to shake it. Another guy in a pink shirt asked if they could "gyrate on a pole" for a part of the dance. My friend, Steven pranced around gracefully and with an atitude while breaking down the dance moves slowly for others and counting loudly. He also was signing "bitch" to anyone that was talking crap. It is funny because he talks in sign language often, and is not deaf.

James is straight, but a theater major so he blends well. The other straight guy was complaining about missing the Red Wings game. I couldn't help but laugh at all of the stereotypes taking place in the room. Beth got scolded by our friend Christine for laughing while they were dancing, which made me laugh. Christine gets to play the role of all of the trashy men in the song. It will be quite a show when they are all in heels and full costumes. I am sad I will not be able to see it.

No comments: