Sunday, May 01, 2011

Hop-scotching to Avoid Earthworms

Nothing makes stress worse than bad weather. If I had to sum up the last couple weeks of school, I would say it was a lot of rushing around in the rain both literally and metaphorically. The only thing worse than extreme stress is bad weather on top of said stress. I spent too many late nights hop-scotching to avoid mud, puddles, and worms while I power-walked home, trying (unsuccessfully) to keep my new shoes clean. I'm having a hard time comprehending the worst is over. I will officially have a college degree after this week. It's been a bittersweet five years. I've learned more than I ever thought possible--the most important lessons being outside of the classroom. I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to experience higher-education, and I don't think I'll ever fully be able to leave academia. There's something invigorating about so many idealists in one location. I've met life-changing people during my time here and am so proud to know such a great variety of classmates, coworkers, bosses, and professors. My life will never be the same. I used to pity the people who went to college and worked at jobs that didn't require or appreciate a college degree. I thought it could be considered a waste of money. After my experience with education, I understand that education is an investment that betters a persons life regardless of whether it directly impacts their career. Education is the answer to so many of our social problems, and I believe a little knowledge, wisdom, and love can change the world. Enough sentimentality about my education. It has not all been fun. In fact, getting this degree has involved absolute hell at times. That may sound like an over-exaggeration, but those who know what my undergraduate days have entailed will understand that there were many times I did not think I'd make it through. Overall, my point is that I am not taking my education for granted. I hope to use my degree to make positive change in my life as well as those who are touched by it.

I have been getting excited looking into graduate schools. It is my goal to develop an even more solid portfolio than I had for this past year. After another few months of writing, I expect to have something I'm really proud of to submit to grad schools. The ideas about everything that is possible for me in the future as a writer is thrilling. The idea of having a year off to read and write whatever I want is the best thing that could have happened to me for this year. I look forward to seeing where I will end up after a year dedicated to my growth as a writer and human being. I actually decided I am going to start a new blog in the fall when I move in with the nuns. I might still keep this up just to give me access to all of my old entries, but with a new one, I will be able to treat it with more reverence and importance, in addition to giving my blog site out to anyone and everyone who is interested. It will be a step toward getting some public attention too, which is good for trying to get published.

I guess I should go prepare for my week of exams. It's been a wonderful, long weekend. I spent most of it sleeping, reading, and just plain relaxing. I loved every second of it and feel recharged to tackle my final week as an undergraduate. Happy Spring, everyone!

No comments: