Thursday, May 12, 2011

Yoga by the River

Yesterday, I had my first yoga class by the river. The temperature couldn't have been more perfect. I didn't sweat or shiver once. I'd been having trouble sleeping because I'm still tense from finishing school. To combat the tension, I started jogging again. In my five years here, I took breaks from working out for an assortment of reasons, but this semester goes down in history as the only time I went an entire semester without working out. The funny part? Everyone has asked me if I lost weight. After my meds made me gain weight so rapidly a couple of years ago, I've worked very hard to keep from gaining more. In all my time of working out, I didn't lose weight. Then, the moment I stop trying, I lose the weight? I'm not complaining. If only I knew it could be so easy. I'm sure it relates to my latest decrease in medication, but I'm wondering if it's feasible to return to my old weight pre-depressive episode--now that I'm working out. I don't want to obsess about it. It's just nice to feel healthy now that I'm jogging again.

In yoga yesterday, I couldn't believe how terrible my balance and concentration has gotten. I knew I hadn't taken time to center myself, but I felt like a wreck. I still enjoyed the balance poses. There is something powerful about being able to control your mind and body simultaneously.

Graduation on Saturday proved to be wonderful. I felt so proud of myself and overwhelmed with gratitude for everyone who supported me along the way. I couldn't sleep because of all the excitement I felt. I posted a note on facebook thanking everyone. I was worried people might get annoyed at my sentimentality, but then I figured I'd rather make sure everyone knows how thankful I am for them instead of assuming they already know. There's no harm in putting positivity out in the world, so I decided I had nothing to lose. Overall, I got a lot of positive feedback, sometimes even from people I haven't talked to in a long while.

I'm reading Marya Hornbacher's new book called Waiting, which is about spirituality as a non-believer. It takes a lot more concentration to read than some of her past books. Her past books were fun, fast-paced books with nice reflections slipped in. This one is mostly reflection and it goes into a lot of depth. I like the way she thinks. I am reading it for fun right now, but I will reread it and take notes at a later date to use for my own reflections.

I'm sitting outside in a tank-top, capris, and flip-flops for the first time all year. I thought it could even be considered too warm when I went jogging today. I like to eat breakfast before I jog, so I didn't go jogging until late morning. it's perfect now that I'm sitting outside under a tree. I need a hair cut, though. My hair is so thick and long that it's like a giant blanket on my head...enough complaining. Life is going great these days.

No comments: