Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Why Do People NOT Write?

Today I was thinking about how I haven't been writing lately. I began to realize it was because I have been so sick that I have not been paying attention to anything. It is a rather boring way to live...in a state of not noticing what is around me or appreciating anything. How do people who do not write appreciate life to the fullest? It seems to slip by so fast. It is really hard to grasp everything that happens to me. I feel a need to remember each and every moment so I write about everything I possibly can think of, but I am still in this phase of feeling like I have to write quality when I write. I have improved at this from last year. I definately write much more meaningless crap then I used to, and this is a good thing. The more I write this useless junk, the less I feel like I am writing for someone. Natalie Goldberg in Thunder and Lightning claims we are all writing for someone other than ourselves. I may have mentioned this theory of hers before in a blog entry, but the truth is I do not know who I am writing for. She says everyone wants to say they write for themselves, but that is not the case when we search deeper. To be honest I do not really care who I am writing for, but I am just glad that I write. I seriously wonder why people do not write and if the "nonwriters" can live the same quality of life. It just seems like memories fade, things change, and we begin to question the accuracy of the memories we have left. If it is written it is like truth that will remain the truth forever.

I spent most of my day reading my Harry Potter book. It is an elementary book that everyone can enjoy, but I still admire how complex everything is. JK Rowling is so amazing at putting little things that seem trivial in the beginning that then come up to be huge in the end. She has all of this foreshadowing and jumping around. She will have these things pop up, then she will not mention them for a while. It's like when you start to forget everything she ties it all together so nicely and it makes me want to read the book a second time to notice all of the little clues she drops throughout the book. The clues are all there but you can never piece them together until she does it for you. It is so amazing. I really like that style of writing in books and movies both. The kind where everything pieces together in the end. I always find it so cool and interesting. It is really a brilliant skill to have. I hope some day I will be able to write such complex stories.

Oh and the good news is I do not have Mono, but I do have strep. At least that can be cured with an anti-biotic. I am not sure if I will be going to school tomorrow or now. I have this terrible headache when I move and my throat is still sore. I took my first dose of anti-biotic this evening so I guess I will see how I feel in the morning. I probably should get ready for bed just in case.

1 comment:

grooveadam said...

When I come home I'll show you how to stop spam comments. Hope you get to feeling better.