Thursday, May 17, 2007

Human Spirit = Alcohol

I feel thankful to be alive. It’s been a long swim, or shall I say more a journey of me thrashing for my life in order to get to this beautiful island where I am. I can rest, reflect, and heal. I know I will have to swim again, but I am thankful for this time period of solace. The warm sand feels good on my feet, but they are cut up from the rocks and coral I walked on to get here. The sun feels warm on my cold face. It begins to melt the ice that formed in the broken cracks of my heart. I was certain I would never find peace while I was thrashing in the cold black ocean. I could not distinguish where the dark ocean ended and where the black starless sky began in the horizon. I cursed the universe. I begged it to send a shark to save me from the constant nights of struggle by ending it all in seconds. My arms and legs were tired; my lips were blue from the cold, and my lungs were sick of inhaling saltwater that burned. I should probably mention the lifeboat, Welbutrin, that floated my way one morning like some sort of miracle. I jumped on apprehensively, because I had never rowed a boat alone. It was a little rocky, but my body was thankful to no longer be in the cold water. I could tell it was saving me right away. I tipped over once on it, but I was fortunate enough to be near a ship with many selfless people on it. They helped me flip my boat over and they gave me food, water, and dry clothes. I will be forever grateful to those sailors. They were not the first ship of sailors I passed. It is funny how few of people are willing to go out of their way to save a lonely soul that is nearly drowning. I survived the ocean once. I will survive it again, but this time I will be prepared with a boat. If I pass any drowning souls I will pick them up into my little boat. I will feed them, clothe them, and we will find peace together. If they say they don’t know how to repay me, then I will tell them about the kind sailors that saved me. Then I will ask of them only that they save any drowning souls they find throughout their lives and pass on the story. The ocean is cold, but the human spirit is like alcohol. It gets a little slushy sometimes, but it does not freeze.

No comments: