Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Personality Quizes

We have all taken personality quizzes in magazines, "Are you the kind of girl Brad Pitt dates" or "How flirty are you?" Okay maybe that is just any girl that made it through sixth grade. The Myers-Briggs personality quiz is not like that. It is actually very accurate. Many business professionals use it when looking at employees. I can't say that I have taken the whole thing, because that generally costs money, but whether it was a shortened version for my Residential College class, a written version for my friend's psych class, the personality quiz on myspace, or the one I just took...I have consistantly been identified as an INFP. I love reading about INFP's because it is so strange to me that people can be lumped into categories by personality types. The facts behind INFP's are always very accurate to my personality. I was inspired from Groove Adam's blog, so I wanted to retake the test to see if would get different results (I didn't). I also wanted to read up more on INFP's. They were long articles so I highlighted the things I thought I could relate to.

"Healer Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in striving for their ends, and investigative and attentive in their interpersonal relations. Healer present a seemingly tranquil, and noticiably pleasant face to the world, and though to all appearances they might seem reserved, and even shy, on the inside they are anything but reserved, having a capacity for caring not always found in other types. They care deeply-indeed, passionately-about a few special persons or a favorite cause, and their fervent aim is to bring peace and integrity to their loved ones and the world.

Healers have a profound sense of idealism derived from a strong personal morality, and they conceive of the world as an ethical, honorable place. Indeed, to understand Healers, we must understand their idealism as almost boundless and selfless, inspiring them to make extraordinary sacrifices for someone or something they believe in. The Healer is the Prince or Princess of fairytale, the King's Champion or Defender of the Faith, like Sir Galahad or Joan of Arc. Healers are found in only 1 percent of the general population, although, at times, their idealism leaves them feeling even more isolated from the rest of humanity."

"Their extreme depth of feeling is often hidden, even from themselves..."

"As INTPs tend to have a sense of failed competence, INFPs struggle with the issue of their own ethical perfection, e.g., perfo rmance of duty for the greater cause. "

"Sensing is introverted and often invisible. This stealth function in the third position gives INFPs a natural inclination toward absent- mindedness and other-worldliness, however, Feeling's strong people awareness provides a balancing, mitigating effect."

Look at the List of Famous INFP's

Famous INFPs:

Homer
Virgil
Mary, mother of Jesus
St. John, the beloved disciple
St. Luke; physician, disciple, author
William Shakespeare, bard of Avon
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Evangeline)
A. A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie)
Helen Keller, deaf and blind author
Carl Rogers, reflective psychologist, counselor
Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers' Neighborhood)
Dick Clark (American Bandstand)
Donna Reed, actor (It's a Wonderful Life)
Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis
Neil Diamond, vocalist
Tom Brokaw, news anchor
James Herriot (All Creatures Great and Small)
Annie Dillard (Pilgrim at Tinker Creek)
James Taylor, vocalist
Julia Roberts, actor (Conspiracy Theory, Pretty Woman)
Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap)
Terri Gross (PBS's "Fresh Air")
Amy Tan (author of The Joy-Luck Club, The Kitchen God's Wife)
John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Lisa Kudrow ("Phoebe" of Friends)
Fred Savage ("The Wonder Years")

Mary mother of Jesus was an INFP? How do they know this? I was getting better at realizing that I physically cannot be like the Saints...now this is really going to set me back. I supposedly have the same personality type as Jesus's mom...that's not going to get to my head or anything (sarcasm) haha. In all seriousness, I couldn't help but notice all of the writers and creative people on there. Now instead of being a saint I can strive to be a legendary literature person like Homer or Virgil...okay that last part was a joke. I do want to at least get published though!

What type of legends are in your personality type? Check it out: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

2 comments:

grooveadam said...

HAHAAHA....Mary the mother of Jesus was an INFP. I can see her getting psychologically evaluated.

Anonymous said...

I recently found out I am an INFP, or "Dreamer", too!

It was interesting (and kinda freaky at the same time!) to read a discription of the INFP type, and to realise that it so closely resembled myself. And yes, to be categorized alongside such awesomely inspirational people is cool too! In fact there's a couple of others who are missing off your list here:

George Orwell
J. R. R. Tolkien
John Lennon
Peter Jackson
Audrey Hepburn
William Butler Yeats
Hans Christian Anderson
Annie Lennox
Sarah McLachlan

Oh, and apparently E.T. is an INFP too! ;oP

I have to say, I'm particularly chuffed to be in the same category as Orwell, Tolkien, and Lennon, as well as Shakespeare, Virgil and Homer! Have always thought of myself as an Orwellian thinker!

Interestingly I also did the "which Friends star are you" on Facebook and apparently I'm Phoebe! So imagine my suprise when Lisa Kudrow showed up on the INFP list!

Anyways, it's nice to meet a fellow INFP!

Take it easy,

Andy ;o)

lucidreama@hotmail.co.uk

P.S. There's definitely nothing wrong with thinking that one can attain sainthood in this life - it's the equivalent of believing we can all achieve Buddhahood, or awakening, which is central to buddhist philosophy! ;o)