Saturday, March 27, 2010

Voice

It's easy for me to feel down sometimes about how I do not know how to be assertive. I blame the culture for this. Young girls are not taught how to be assertive. They are taught to be nice, polite, and to put themselves second. Sexism still exists, but I am really thankful to have a voice. I am always surprised by the acquaintances that tell me they read my blog. How fortunate am I to have a place to be heard? I just watched a film and heard the director speak about the youth in Iran. They are much more progressive than I thought, but they still have websites blocked by the government. I can be as political as I want on here and no one is going to stop me. What a beautiful thing freedom of speech is. I'm not very patriotic, but I am thankful to be in the United States.

When I get writers block, it's usually because I am tired of my voice. I realize women writers are still discriminated against in academia, but my creative writing professors are both men, and they are very supportive of my voice. They make me feel like I can and should be heard.

I still lose my voice from fear, but I wanted to celebrate being heard today. Thanks for reading and valuing my voice.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Aim-Dog,
Your voice is awesome. I've read (and also listened to some of) your poetry. You have amazing talent. Your blog is also awesome, and it lets me know when you're doing okay, or not so okay so I know when or how to ration my praying :). Even if you're tired of your voice, I'm pretty sure the rest of the world isn't, which is why writing is fun. If you're sick of your voice and that's what gives you the writers block, be someone else: write from a different gender, a different perspective. It helps me when I'm sick of me.

I love you, see you next week! (Sorry if the lovin' is weird :) )