Monday, February 12, 2007

The Highlight of My Day

The Highlight of my day came when I read a small article in USA today about polar bears. I have always had a soft spot for the creatures, but it made me smile. I even laughed aloud when I read the last quote, because I can picture some stereotypical zoologist talking about first love experiences like an expert while wearing some type of safari uniform and sporting a Grizzly Adams beard. Oh how I love the thought of it!

Love Hurts for Memphis Polar Bear
***A Short Article from USA Today

Cranbeary, a 5-year-old polar bear, faces 10 weeks of recovery time in a cage away from her exhibit at the Memphis Zoo after an amorous hook-up with a visiting polar bear went bad, zoo officials said. A male polar bear who was trying to court her apparently pushed her offa 14-foot drop while playing this week, mammal curator Matt Thompson said. Crabeary had surgery Saturday to insert two steel plates and 26 screws to repair a broken leg. Payton, a 3-year-old male, is on loan from the Brookfield Zoo in Illinois as part of a breeding program. This may be both bears' first romance, and it got a little awkward, Thompson said.

I suppose the other highlight was when the nurse told me at my appointment that she could tell I was feeling better, because I looked healthier. I felt a sense of hope for the first time in a long time, because I now know that things are finally getting better.

No comments: