Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Flashback

Today I came across some of my old writing from elementary school. I forgot how much I loved writing as a kid. I often tell people that I believe kids are much more self-aware than we give them credit for. I was looking at a lot of my awards and comments from teachers, and I realized what a nerd I was. It's funny, because I became "too cool" for all of the stuff I loved as a kid, and it is not until recently that I am returning to my old passions. For example, as a kid, I loved being outside and learning about nature. In High School, I told lisa I didn't like learning about nature. I'm back to being a nature-geek these days. I used to want to be a writer, then for a while, I hated English classes, and stopped writing. Now, I'm back to being dorky passionate and naively optimistic about being published someday. I wanted a pair of Chuck Taylor's as a kid, because of the show "Zoom" on PBS. All the kids wore them. My friends told me they were stupid, so I never got a pair until my senior year of high school when I stopped caring so much about what my friends thought. I still love Chucks. I need a new pair. Mine have holes in them. I am copying a paper I found from fifth grade. I'm misspelling all of the same words and punctuating it just like I did then. It made me laugh, because my teacher wrote a note at the bottom saying she believed I could do this too. I ended things rather confidently. I wonder when that confidence faded. I'm thinking it might have been sixth grade. Adolescence is when I really lost myself. I think everyone does, though. It's such a strange time.

"My Life as an Adult" (fifth grade-1998)
When I grow up, I would like to go to University of Michigan, because it is near home and a good school.
 
I will take a class on creative writing, a computer class, an art class, and a chemistry class.
 
When I get out of college I would live in a small, quiet, apartment with a swimming pool, so after a hard day of doing my job (wrighting and illastrating) I could go swimming.
 
After a hard time of my rent and student loans, I would publish my first book, and make a lot of money. I would have enough to pay all of my student loans, move into a nice house and be able to pay my house and car payments.
 
Soon I would begin writing a series to go with my first book. My series would have 21 books, and I would make millions. By the time I turn 35 I would have a mansion with an indoor and outdoor pool, a spa, two Jack Rusel Terrier puppies named Max and Jack, I would have one Calico cat named Crayons, two convertables, one silver and one red, and one black mercedes.
 
This dream will be very hard to make come true but if I set my mind to it I can do anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I graduated, I was given some of my writing samples from 7th grade. In one of my essays I discussed how I thought the human population was going to go extinct....
Weird...