Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Sisterhood

I went to see "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2" last night with Alicia, Leslie, and Kristin. It was fun going in a group of close friends that I rarely get to see all at the same time. We kept teasing each other about which character we were. That may sound incredibly immature, and yes, we were in the theater with a lot of young girls. In fact, there was one moment where a bunch of the young girls were giggling and Alicia said, "Why did we have to see this on the first night it came out? We should have come the last day." We fit in there, though--with our giddy laughs at inappropriate moments, like one serious moment when the emotionally detached character (they claim is like me) was having a breakdown about her problems with relationships, and Leslie whispered, "Oh my gosh, Aimee, that is SOOO you." It's funny, because there are parts in all of the characters I relate to, I think that's why people love these movies--the characters-- but I found myself cheering especially for the emotionally challenged character who was supposed to me. It's a cheesy, happy, movie, but we all loved it. We kept joking that we were going to all go to Greece last night like they do in the movie, to have "The Pants" bring us all together again; because like the girls in the movie, we of course, have drifted apart. Although, I still feel a very strong connection with them at times--like last night. Other days, it can't be more clear to me that we have nothing in common sometimes. It makes me feel completely alone, but I love that we have drifted so far, yet can still have an intense friendship when the wind happens to carry us back toward each other. 

We ended our evening by calling each other the characters' names and planning our trip to Greece :) Saying goodbye to Leslie went something like, "Oh Bee, have fun with your new Grandma (The character's name is Bridgette, but they all call her B--which is funny because in middle school I called Leslie "My Bumble Bee"--but she finds her grandma in the movie). Leslie was like, "Tibby, I'm glad you fixed things with your video game playing boyfriend." That's right we are not 13--just pretty good at acting like it sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aimee,
I loved reading this haha. It brought back great memories from that night. Haha even if I sounds deborahish haha.
-Alicia