Sunday, August 31, 2008

Falling off the balance beam

I blog a lot about balance. I talk a lot about balance. I believe a lot in balance. Why can't I practice it? I'm not trying to pass off responsibility for my inability to maintain a balanced lifestyle, but I'm beginning to believe that our culture doesn't encourage it. I made my friend Kristin a bracelet before she left for Spain. It's a nice hippie-like bracelet with light colored, tie-dyed beads with a charm that says, "Balance," with some sort of symbol on it. I made myself one too, because 1) I love bracelets 2) I thought it would help me feel closer to Kristin when she is so far away, and 3) I thought it would serve as a nice daily reminder to maintain balance. After surviving my first week of classes and work and making it through welcome week, I realized no matter how hard I struggle for balance, I'm always  a little off. 

I've stopped running. I went to three parties during welcome week. I am not yet on a normal sleeping or eating schedule. I haven't had a lot of time to write.

Now, those are all reasons I believe I am failing, but after talking with my dad on the way to pick up Adam, he reminded me that I'm doing pretty good when it comes to things like partying. I drink a lot of water when I party, I walk a lot at school, I eat okay. I think the college years are probably the most unbalanced ones ever. People pull all-nighters, binge drink, binge eat, and work themselves too hard. For example, I get teased if I want to go to bed early or stop drinking early (or not drink at all), but then I'm sure I reciprocate it to others, too. It's just a very "intense" (for lack of a better word) time period in our lives. No one knows where they'll be in five years or who they'll be with. It's a great time to appreciate and live in the moment, but horrible for any sense of security or balance. It's worth struggling for. I think I'll keep wearing my bracelet, and risk sounding like a hypocrite by talking about the importance of balance. I know it's important. I just can't always live it. 

No comments: