Friday, September 09, 2005

Ophelia Speaks

Things are out of control this week in school. Cross country is not going as well. I am getting slower for some reason. Work is stressing me, because the schedule was never officially done, so I don't know if I have to work tonight. It is finally Friday though! I am thankful for that. I spent last night trying to piece together a reading response out of nothing. Thanks to my brother and then some help from Caitlin in second hour, I have a reading response done. The quality of it, I am unsure of. I tried and I have something. Something is better than nothing. This weekend I plan to do more college essays.

I am reading this amazing book, Ophelia Speaks by Sara Shandler. You probably have heard of it. It was done by this girl when she was 17. She had this ingenious idea to collect poems, stories, and letters from adolescent girls around the country. She began putting them together and narrating her thoughts. It is so genuine. I am amazed that she was able tog et a publishing company interested, girls from all over to send her their writing, and publish the book by her early twenties. What a brilliant young woman. The book is actually rather depressing. It is girls writing about all of their struggles. It includes stories of attempted suicide, drugs, rape victims, dealing with depression, broken homes, eating disorders, and finding ones self. It is truly amazing to see all of the different girls' writing. Some of the things are so well-written even though you know the girl is crazy you begin to understand what they are thinking. I think this will inspire some of my writing on self. I plan to do as much as I can this weekend. I will be honest and say I did not do my three page requirement for Independent Study last night, but I will make up for it this weekend.

It was only a four day week, but I feel very overwhelmed. We have three meets next week, I worry what that will be like. I still don't know what to do about work, it seems to be taking over my life although I really don't work much. I am excited for the weekend. I hope I do not have to work tonight so I can go home and sleep. That is all I am thinking about right now... ah I miss my bed.

No comments: