Sunday, August 21, 2005

Endings

Today I began thinking about endings. They say "every ending has a new beginning," but what if the new beginning is not as good? New beginnings are scary, but can be exciting. I just have such a hard time with change. "The only thing constant in the world is change" is a lyric from an India Arie song. I should think I would grow accustomed to change since it is the only thing that seems to be so reliable. As I approach applying for colleges and turning in to an adult, I can't help but still feel unprepared. I swear I'm still a kid, stop asking me what I want to do for the REST of my life. I can't make up my mind about what movie I want to rent one night, let alone what to do with myself. I am sick of hearing it's my choice. I don't know what I want. I just want to be me and let everything fall in to place, unfortunately I realize it does not work like that.
With the first day of my senior year, tomorrow, I feel so unprepared for anything. I know I am capable. I know I am not stupid. I know I can do SOMETHING. I just don't know what I can do yet. I am not immature. I understand people too much to be immature, but then when it comes to ending things I feel like a 3 year girl back at day care again, crying because I didn't get to wave at my mom out the window as she left that morning. The teachers try to comfort me and slow the tears that are dripping off my chin as snot runs all over my face. I don't feel embarassed at all. The teachers can't help. It's too late my mom is gone. There is no one to wave back because our brown car is gone. I hang out at the window and look at the grey sky. It seemed like such an awful day at the time.
I don't wave at my mom in the window anymore. It doesn't make me sad either. I don't know when it happened, but at some point it was not a big deal whether my mom waved at me as she drove away. I adjusted. It doesn't bother me anymore. I think I will just have to adjust to all of the new endings I am approaching. I guess new beginnings can be exciting.

3 comments:

grooveadam said...

You'll learn to make home out of the pillow you sleep on. Moving every 6 mos can make a person feel homeless but it is not bad. Although I can't help but feel a little lonely on Sunday nights after a weekend of noise from 2 animals and 4 other chatter boxes.

J. Miguel Meeks said...

I agree with your older brother about moving,however, the animals and chatter boxes he has to tell me about!

RHIANNON said...

believe me - i understand (in my own way) your fear of change and uncertainty as far as post-high school simple life...it will be hard - but you have a strong, great personality - you will OF COURSE adjust. and just like it didn't bother you to not wave at your mom driving away because there is a certain unspoken, ungestured understanding between you two - the same thing will happen between you and this life you have right now. The thing is - you may go back to waving at your mom driving away, for comfort :) It will be hard - but you will get comfortable wherever you land.