Saturday, August 13, 2005

Relay for Life

I had the pleasure of attending our local Relay for Life for both days this year. It was such a lovely experience. I felt a genuine, beautiful type of saddness. I say it was beautiful, because of all of the good people I came across. Everyone has experienced so much, but there is so much hope there. I am haunted by the pessimistic view of society. I have been told I am an optimist, but sometimes I think I am more pessimistic than anything. I dwell on every imperfection from myself, my friends, and my family. I was reminded about love at Relay for Life. It was a night where I forgot every one of my friends imperfections, I didn't think about any of mine, and I felt nothing but love for my family. I walked around with such a variety of people. It was truly humbling.
I was heartbroken to see the husband of an old role-model of mine. His wife died of cancer and she was very active in Relay for Life. He still has a very hard time with it all, although it has been 2 years since she passed. I think I received 3 or 4 hugs from him and every time I felt a tingle deep in my bones. It is so hard to see someone so sad. I felt so proud to see my neighbor Jenny and my good friend Jordan walk the survivors lap. When they walked by and waved at me, I smiled so genuinely and proud. I truly admire the both of them and I feel such a deep sense of pride when they walk by wearing their medals. I don't know how I am lucky enough to know them.
Witnessing so many people crying, hugging, laughing was like a little taste of how things should be. I realize Relay is about raising money, but it just seems to be so much more than that. It isn't about religion or politics. There is just something very powerful about a real sense of caring. It is hard for me to truly express myself about such a bittersweet feeling.

2 comments:

grooveadam said...

I think it is great that you're writing.

RHIANNON said...

Aimee - I kind of teared up reading your entry here.

I'm glad you're doing this - you have a brilliant brain in your head.